10. We were able to watch each other grow. I love that I met him as a boy, and was able to watch him turn in to a man. It not only gives me a better understanding of why he is the way he is, but it was also a beautiful transformation I was able to watch.
9. We get to prove people wrong. Bitter people try to rain our parade and tell us young love never lasts, but one day we’ll get to tell our grandchildren that we were high school sweet hearts.
8. He was there for me when I was still figuring out who I was. Figuring out who you are is hard, but when you have your best friend by your side giving you endless support, it’s the tiniest bit easier.
7. We have inside jokes that date back to our teens. Laughing together is what we live for.
6. We’re outrageously comfortable around each other. I mean the guy saw me when I had pimples all over my face and I saw him lose an arm wrestling competition to his mother.
5. We have pictures together from prom that we’ll be able to show our kids one day.
4. We get more time to spend together. From puberty to grey hair, he is, has been, and will be, the most beautiful human I have ever known and I wouldn’t spend this life with anyone else.
3. We’re best friends. We’ve known each other for years, and we’ve met so many different versions of each other and because of that we love every part of each other and are best friends first, and lovers second. We’ve watched each other change and grow.
2. I was able to have my best friend by my side for some of the most stressful situations of my life, and it made us a better team. He was there with me threw college, and the minimum wage jobs we started as we struggled to pay rent.
1. He was the first person to make me feel like I was enough. I didn’t have to be anything but myself with him, and I haven’t since that first day that I first met him in that school hallway.